Intern with Safe Passage and become a Family Advocate
Safe Passage’s comprehensive internship program is designed to cover vital aspects of a domestic violence and sexual assault agency, such as: crisis intervention, legal and medical advocacy. You will gain firsthand experience in a career in advocacy and counseling. Interns at Safe Passage must be able to complete a two semester commitment and provide 10 hours weekly on site and participate in our medical on-call program. This is an unpaid internship.
Who is an intern?
An intern at Safe Passage is anyone who is currently a student and will be receiving college credit for their time at Safe Passage. We are currently at full capacity in our Master level counseling internship program, however we are still accepting applications.
- Crisis Advocate – Most needed shifts are Monday, Wednesday and the weekends. Interact and assist clients at the shelter. Assist with non-client related tasks, such as: organizing donations, stocking snacks, grocery shopping, administrative duties, etc.
- Medical On-Call Advocate – Must be available to commit to 3 shifts a month. Each on-call shift is 24 hours. You will provide emotional support at Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital, Valley West Hospital and police departments in DeKalb County.
65 Hour Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Training
Interns are required to attend our 65 hour Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Training. This training provides you with the knowledge and tools needed to work successfully with survivors of domestic and sexual violence. Some topics covered in the training include: the history of the anti-rape movement, the cycle of violence, crisis intervention, unique barriers minority populations face, and the effects of domestic and sexual violence on children.
Our next training will be held in July. To view the upcoming training schedule, click here.
Deadline to apply for the July training: June 17, 2019.
Training participants are required to attend all days of training. To view our Training Attendance Policy, click here.
To become a Safe Passage Intern, you must:
- Care about the welfare of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault victims and issues
- Be able to complete a 2 semester commitment and provide 10 hours weekly on site
- Fill out our application
- Pass background check
- Complete our 65 hour training
Questions or concerns? Please contact Pamela Rosales: 815.756.5228 x144 || firstname.lastname@example.org