Intern with Safe Passage
Safe Passage’s comprehensive internship program is designed to cover vital aspects of a domestic violence and sexual assault agency including crisis intervention, survivor support, and medical advocacy. An intern will gain firsthand experience providing direct client service in a fast-paced nonprofit. Interns at Safe Passage must be able to complete a two semester commitment and provide 20 hours weekly on site as well as participate in our medical on-call program. This is an unpaid internship.
Interested in learning the job duties of an intern? Click here!
***We are currently at full capacity in our Master’s level internship program. Our next opening will be in May 2020.
- Crisis Advocate – Most needed shifts are Monday, Wednesday and the weekends. Interact and assist clients at the shelter. Assist with non-client related tasks, such as: organizing donations, stocking snacks, grocery shopping, administrative duties, etc.
- Medical On-Call Advocate – Must be available to commit to 3 shifts a month. Each on-call shift is 24 hours. You will provide emotional support at Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital, Valley West Hospital and police departments in DeKalb County.
Crisis Intervention Training
Interns are required to attend our Crisis Intervention Training. This training provides you with the knowledge and tools needed to work successfully with survivors of domestic and sexual violence. Some topics covered in the training include: the history of the anti-rape movement, the cycle of violence, crisis intervention, unique barriers minority populations face, and the effects of domestic and sexual violence on children.
Our next training will begin January 28, 2020. To view the upcoming training schedule, click here.
Training participants are required to attend all days of training. To view our Training Attendance Policy, click here.
To become a Safe Passage Intern, you must:
- Care about the welfare of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault victims and issues
- Be able to complete a 2 semester commitment and provide 20 hours weekly on site
- Fill out our application
- Pass background check
- Complete our Crisis Intervention Training
Questions or concerns? Please contact Pamela Rosales: 815.756.5228 x144 || email@example.com